The magnificiant building constructed by Samuel.S.Koder of the Cochin Electric Company in 1808 is a supreme example of the transition from colonial to Indo European architecture. Features like verandhah seats at the entrance, floor tiles set in a chess board pattern, red colored brick like facade, carved wood furniture and wooden bridge connecting to a separate structure across the street are all unique to this bunglow.
Santa Cruz Basilica
The historic church was built by the Portuguese and elevated to a Cathredal by Pope Paul IV in 1558. In 1795 it fell into the hands of the British when they took over Cochin, and was demolished. About hundred years later Bishop Dom Gomez Ferreira commissioned a new building at the same site in 1887. The church was proclaimed a Basilica in 1984 by Pope John Paul II.
Believed to have been the residence of Vasco da Gamma, this is one of the oldest Portugese residences in Fort Cochin. Built in the early sixteenth century. Vasco House sports the typical European glass paned windows and balcony com verandhas charecteristics of the times.
The four acre parade ground was where once the Portuguese, Dutch and the British colonists conducted their military parades and drills. The buildings around the ground housed theirdefense establishments. Today, the largest open ground in Fort Cochin, The Parade Ground is a sports arena.
Chinese Fishing Nets / Vasco da Gamma Square
These huge cantilevered fishing nets are the legacy of one of the first visitors to the Malabar Coast. Erected here between 1350 and 1450 AD by traders from the court of Kublai Khan, these nets are set up on teakwood and bamboo poles. The best place to watch the nets being lowered into the sea and catch being brought is in the Vasco da Gamma Square, A narrow promanade that runs along the beach. The Square is an ideal place to idle, with stalls serving fresh delicious seafood, tender coconut etc.
The Dutch Cemetery
The tomb stones here are the most authentic record of the hundreds of Europeans who left their homeland on a mission to expand their colonial empires and changed the course of history of this land. The cemetery was consecrated in 1724 and is today managed by the church of South India.
St. Francis Church
Built in 1503 by Portuguese Franciscan friars, this is Indias oldest European church. This was initially built of timber and later reconstructed in stone masonary. It was restored in 1779 by the protestant Dutch, converted to Anglician church by the british in 1795 and is at present governed by the church of South India. Vasco da gamma was buried here in 1524. Before his remains were moved to Lisbon, Portugal. The tombstone still remains.